Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Digit-al Dozen Does Brands Week - Disney


So I've had a mani pinned (click on the link to be taken to CutePolish's YouTube video to show how to create the castle) on my Pinterest board for a while and thought I could never recreate it. I was too scared! But I thought I would give it a shot for this week, because I love Disney! And Disneyland is like my home away from home.

Disneyland will always hold a special place in my heart. It is where my parents met, in line for The Matterhorn. For Christmas after my mother died, us kids chipped in and bought a tile dedicated to my parents! My Dad has a small wooden replica of it in his bedroom. These tiles are in between Disneyland and California Adventures. (heart added for privacy.)  :)


I use to live near Disneyland when I was little, I was actually born in Anaheim where it is located. But I remember my Dad telling us that Disneyland was too far away and that's why we couldn't visit a lot. Um, yeah, nope! My brother and I timed it one time when we went back to visit California. An hour. An hour away from Disneyland. Gee, thanks Dad! When we told him that he laughed and said, "but you didn't know that when you were little!".


I started out with Barielle Go Lightly, I believe at 3, maybe 4 coats (very sheer). I then added China Glaze Fairy Dust, because, uh duh! Disney and fairy dust go perfectly together! I used acrylic paint to create the castle and Wet 'N Wild Black Creme for the "D". I topped it off with HK Girl Top Coat. 

I really loved how this turned out! I was so surprised at how straight my lines turned out using the really long scary striping brush!

Have you done any nail art that you were scared to do? Did it work out?


Don't forget to check out the other ladies and their brands!

21 comments:

  1. I tried that same design for the castle but mine was a disaster and ended up looking nothing like the castle at all, yours though, turned out so cute and as soon as I saw this I was transported to the magical world of Disney. I am a huge Disney geek and I am in love with this mani! Great job. I love the freehanded "D" in the Disney script. I'm going to have to try this again, I really love your adorable mani and to have a bit of Disney on my fingertips - totally geeky Disneyness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous design and a lovely story. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you tied your nails into something personal to you. I'm sure you dad loved the tile; I didn't know you could do this but I haven't been to Disney in over 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He loves it. We always visit their tile when we go there.

      Delete
  4. I just love these so much and the story behind it is so sweet. Your mom would be so thrilled to see what you've done for her :)

    And heck yes! I'm so proud of you for pushing yourself and doing a mani though you couldn't do! You seriously rocked it! Those lines! You're awesome, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I tried channeling my inner Lindsey for this! :)

      Delete
  5. This is such a great story! I love learning bits and pieces of bloggers lives and the inspiration behind manis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A cute mani to match a sweet story. I love Disney; I'm really sad that I won't be able to go down for the 24 hour event they'll be having.

    The biggest attempt at nail art I've done was water marbling. It turned out okay though I chose colors that were hard tell apart once they were on the nail (I forgot to use a white base color). It was also the longest time I spent doing my nails - a couple of hours to do both hands. Hopefully it won't take that long the second time I try do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh, I hate doing water marbling! HATE! It's too hard and takes forever! Don't base your nail art on water marbling, it's a lot of people's nemesis! :)

      Delete
  7. This is so great! Such a sweet story about your parents :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The words, they leave me. The whole mani is super cute, and your castle is precious. Also, shame on your dad! I grew up split halfway between Disneyworld and Disneyland, so it really was too far... but I ended up visiting both within 2 years on different school trips in high school, so I count myself lucky in that regard. Now I just need to get in a trip to EuroDisney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Thank you! Oooh! EuroDisney! I want to go!

      Delete
  9. Love this! Especially the D - so perfect!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my blog! I love getting comments! Though I may not be able to respond to each one right away, I do read and appreciate each and every one, they are actually a highlight of my day! If you have any questions, I'll try my best to respond quickly! If you would like for me to check out your blog, email me your link: geekyowl (at) gmail (dot) com.